When I purchased
it, it had a 350 cu in smog motor with the 6 cylinder powerglide.
First race on May 17, 1997 the ET was 17.273 - 72.12 MPH.
The car weighed 3,855# with me in it By October 1998 with
the addition of a slightly worked turbo 350 with a 2,500 RPM stall
speed, new Edelbrock carburetor, MSD ignition, 456 gears,
and headers and some tweaking we got the car down to 13.87
95.56 MPH. It then weighed 3370# with me in it. It
now is a drag car with a full rectangular tube frame, chassis works
ford 9" rear end, with a 355 cu in cement filled block.
The transmission is a worked 350 with a 5,000 RPM stall speed.
Best ET so far 11.16 - 118.69 MPH. It weighs 3240#.. I have
not raced it yet this year but over the winter, we removed the stock
front bumper and brackets and added a carbon fiber one with aluminum
brackets. As well, I removed all the glass, front, rear, sides
and vents and replaced them with lexan. At the same time I
removed all the window regulators and vent window frames.
I added a bit of weight with the addition of a 2nd battery in the
rear. As well I am having a little upholstery work done that
may add a few pounds. I changed the interior to aqua and had
an excellent aqua bench seat from another car. It is possible
the car now may weigh around 3,100# with me in it.
Added Aug 24, 2000 - ...I guess the extra battery
installation and the interior weighed more than I thought. The car
still weighs 3.240# with me in it. The good news is that by tinkering
with the jets, with the help of my friend Mike 500 miles away, I
improved my best ET to 11.054 and my miles per hour to 119.35..
Added September 22, 2000 again, thanks to some
long distance tuning from my long time friend Mike, our best time
is now 10.902 - 121.40 MPH. We had removed the bottom headlights
and vented 5" tubing into the engine department but had not
connected those vents directly to the carburetor. We had installed
an original SD hood scoop and figured since it was so small it may
not be doing much. At the same time we felt with the scoop and the
venting to the engine compartment, we were making lots of fresh
air "available". There was not much clearance between
the top of the carburetor and the hood, or at least where the hood
metal was before we installed the scoop so we had to fashion a dual
snout air cleaner (minus filer), with a drop down base and hooked
up 5" tubing to the air cleaner. At the same time, we raised
the back of the hood, hoping to let some of the hot engine compartment
air escape. Those minor changes took us from 11.053 - 118.32 down
to 10.902 - 121.40. Please keep in mind, mine is a Canadian Pontiac
and they have Chevrolet motors, but thumbing through some magazines
with pictures of the 63s' it is quite apparent the racers of those
days were experimenting with all sorts of ways to get more fresh
air to their engines.